The Navy's Mexican Service Medal was established by Navy Department General Orders Number 365 on February 11, 1918, as amended by Navy Department General Orders No. 464 of April 27, 1919.
The Mexican Service Medal was awarded for qualifying service between April 12, 1911, and February 7, 1917.
The Navy's Mexican Service Medal was awarded to Navy and Marine Corps personnel who served:
The Mexican Service Medal was worn after the First Nicaraguan Campaign Medal and before the First Haitian Campaign Medal.
No devices were authorized for the Mexican Service Medal.
The identity of the first recipient of the Mexican Service Medal is unknown.
The First Haitian Campaign Medal was designed by Rudolf Freund (1878-1960) of Bailey, Banks & Biddle.
DESCRIPTION AND SYMBOLISM
In the center of a bronze medallion one and a quarter inches in diameter, a castle is shown overlooking a body of water. Following the contour of the medal, in the upper half, is the word MEXICO; and at the bottom, the dates 1911-1917. At each side are three cactus branches.
The castle is San Juan de Uloa, situated in Vera Cruz harbor (which was captured and held by United States forces) and represents the specific place where the Navy first engaged Mexicans, and the enemy in general. The water of the harbor alludes to naval service, and the cacti symbolize the flora of the region.
In the center of a bronze medallion, an eagle with its wings displayed is shown alight upon an anchor with draped chain, over the words FOR SERVICE in raised letters. At the base of the medal, and following the contour of its rim, there is an elongated wreath composed of oak on the left and laurel on the right. Following the contour of the upper portion of the medal, the words UNITED STATES NAVY (or UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS) are shown in raised letters.
The eagle is the American bald eagle and represents the United States. The anchor and draped chain allude to naval service. oak represents strength and laurel represents victory.
The ribbon to the Navy's Mexican Service Medal is the same as the Army's. It has a central stripe of blue flanked on either side by a stripe of equal width in gold, and the ribbon is edged in green. The blue and green represent the United States and Mexico, respectively, and the gold represents the predominant color of the Mexican border area.
This medal was originally manufactured by Bailey, Banks and Biddle of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was serially numbered without prefix on the rim at the 6:00 o'clock position. Subsequent strikes by the Mint have the M.No. prefix.