The Philippine Campaign Medal was established on June 27, 1908, by Navy Department Special Orders Number 81 for the Navy, and on the same date by Navy Department Special Orders Number 82 for the Marine Corps.
The Philippine Campaign Medal was awarded for qualifying service in the Navy or Marine Corps between the inclusive dates of February 4, 1899 and December 31, 1904.
The Navy Philippine Campaign Medal was awarded to Navy and Marine Corps personnel who served ashore in the Philippine Islands between February 4, 1899, and July 4, 1902; or who served ashore in Mindanao in cooperation with the U.S. Army between February 4, 1899, and December 31, 1904, or who were attached to certain vessels in Philippine waters during the dates established for those vessels.
ORDER OF PRECEDENCE
The Philippine Campaign Medal was worn after the Spanish Campaign Medal and before the China Relief Expedition Medal.
No devices were established for the Philippine Campaign Medal
Navy Philippine Campaign medal #1 was issued to Admiral George Dewey on September 25, 1908; Marine Corps Philippine Campaign medal #1 was issued to Sergeant John M. Adams.
The Philippine Campaign Medal was designed by Rudolf Freund (1878-1960) of Bailey, Banks & Biddle.
DESCRIPTION AND SYMBOLISM
In the center of a bronze medallion one and a quarter inches in diameter, an arched gateway in a stone wall encircled by the words PHILIPPINE CAMPAIGN at the top in raised letters, and the dates 1899 - 1903 at the bottom, the space between the dates and the beginning / ending of the upper wording joined by a spray of laurel.
The stone gateway represents the Old Gate in the Manila city wall and alludes to the entry of United States forces into the Philippine Islands. The sprays of laurel represent victory.
In the center of a bronze medallion, an eagle with its wings displayed is shown alight upon an anchor with draped chain, over the words FOR SERVICE in raised letters. At the base of the medal, and following the contour of its rim, there is an elongated wreath composed of oak on the left and laurel on the right. Following the contour of the upper portion of the medal, the words UNITED STATES NAVY (or UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS) are shown in raised letters.
The eagle is the American bald eagle and represents the United States. The anchor and draped chain allude to naval service. oak represents strength and laurel represents victory.
Ribbon (First Type)
This medal had two ribbons. The first Ribbon was used from June 27, 1908, to August 12, 1913, and was a field of red with a gold center stripe. This ribbon employed the colors of the Spanish Man of War.
Ribbon (Second Type)
The second ribbon (a field of blue with two red stripes) was adopted from the design used by the Army which was designed by Francis D. Millet, who believed the red and blue "...were the favorite colors of the Maylays" and would be both distinctive and would suggest a campaign "against an uncivilized and remote people."
This medal was originally manufactured by Bailey, Banks and Biddle of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was serially numbered without prefix on the rim at the 6:00 o'clock position.